Connect with us

Breaking News

BREAKING NEWS: US, UK Arms Ban Forced Nigeria To Buy From Soviets During Civil War — Gowon

Published

on

Former Head of State General Yakubu Gowon (retd.) has revealed that the refusal of the United States and Britain to supply arms to Nigeria during the civil war drove his government into the arms of the Soviet Union and a Lebanese black-market businessman.

He said the two unlikely lifelines eventually turned the tide of the three-year conflict, which raged from July 1967 to January 1970.

The revelations are contained in Chapter Fifteen of Gowon’s 859-page autobiography titled My Life of Duty and Allegiance, obtained by our correspondent at the book’s launch in Abuja on Tuesday, where President Bola Tinubu was represented by Vice President Kashim Shettima.

The chapter, titled “If The Devil’s Ready To Help,” chronicles Gowon’s desperate search for weapons as Nigeria’s ammunition stockpile collapsed to half a million rounds for the entire Army by late 1968.

He said the stockpile was insufficient to sustain operations, while traditional Western allies remained aloof.

He wrote, “As the weeks of fighting wore on, our stock of ammunition was steadily depleted by these wastes, and we could not replenish them because international sales restrictions prevented suppliers from selling military hardware to Nigeria.

“Left with no choice, I ordered the Federal troops to hold their position after the capture of Enugu up to Okigwe and Umuahia because I could not, in clear conscience, commit them to further advance knowing that the ammunition to sustain the effort was in short supply.”

Gowon said he was particularly stung by the contrast between the inaction of the Western allies in Nigeria and their aggressive military posture in Vietnam and Cambodia, where American air power was being deployed at scale.

He sought out the British and American ambassadors in a meeting he described as one of the most consequential of the war.

About the meeting, he said, “If I say I’m not disappointed, it will be an understatement.

“I, however, left them in no doubt that I had a duty and responsibility to keep Nigeria united and safe for all Nigerians and other nationals resident in Nigeria.

“As they were about to enter their cars, preparatory to leaving the State House, I said, if I say I’m not disappointed, it will be an understatement, so I will go to any devil to get what I need to deal with the problem, to do my duty to my country, and when that happens, I hope I will not be accused of doing something wrong.”

Both ambassadors left without any commitment, Gowon said.

However, the former Head of State said he had already decided on his next move.
Related News

How Obasanjo defied my orders to serve under Murtala during civil war — Gowon
Kwara gov endorses APC’s Yahaya Seriki for 2027 governorship race
Jonathan lauds Gowon for civil war reconciliation, nation-building

He directed his Principal Secretary, Hamza Ahmadu, to contact the Soviet Ambassador, Mr Aleksandr Romanov, at Dodan Barracks.

He said Moscow’s willingness to supply arms could serve as the lever that forced Britain and America back to the negotiating table.

A Nigerian delegation led by Commissioner of Information Anthony Enahoro, Permanent Secretary Edwin Ogbu, Chief of Air Staff Emmanuel George Kurubo and Ambassador John Ukegbu was promptly dispatched to Moscow.

“The Soviet Union supplied us some MiG-15 trainers and MiG-17 bombers for the meeting, which was a huge success,” he wrote, adding that Soviet-Nigerian relations grew into something “special” in the aftermath of the war, a warmth that had been purchased by Western indifference.

According to him, Moscow alone could not solve the immediate ammunition crisis.

For that, Gowon said he turned to Ali Jamal, a Lebanese businessman with access to the black market for military hardware, “who strongly believed in Nigeria” and who offered to personally finance the procurement of ammunition and equipment, asking only to be reimbursed interest-free once the government could pay.

“Jamal was not deterred even after I told him that I had no money with which to make immediate payments for the purchases.

“He told me not to worry and that he would use his own money to provide the ammunition we needed but would want to be reimbursed interest-free at the shortest possible time.

“With his support, we were able to get some of the hardware and the ammunition we needed to change the face of the war,” Gowon wrote.

But the arrangement nearly collapsed at the Federal Executive Council when Finance Commissioner Chief Obafemi Awolowo refused to authorise payment, objecting that the process had not been properly followed and that it constituted extra-budgetary expenditure.

To this, he said, “I was aghast because it suddenly appeared to me that the Finance Commissioner and others at the FEC did not understand the depth of the problem I was in to ensure the survival of the men in the field and that war was successfully prosecuted.”

He told Awolowo: “I’m afraid I’ll want to use my powers and authority, which I think I can do as Head of State and Head of Government, to give any department the order to do what is required to be done.”

On the altercation at the council meeting, he said, “Although I used anger and the power of my office to win the argument and retain the integrity of the nation with my friend, I felt proud of my team that always insisted on following due process to justify every action and every expenditure. Jamal subsequently was paid in full.”

The book, running to 859 pages across 36 chapters, covers Gowon’s full life from his Angas origins in Plateau State through his military career, the civil war, his ouster in 1975 and his years in exile and academic study.

Read The Full Story / Watch The Full Video

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Breaking News

ADC State Chairmen Threatened Contempt Proceedings Against David Mark

Published

on

UMUAHIA – State chairmen of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, have threatened to file contempt proceedings against the national chairman of the party, Senator David Mark and other principal officers over alleged violation of the April 29, 2026, order of the Federal High Court, which declared that the tenure of the state chairmen has not expired.

They accused Senator Mark of acting in violation of the order of the Federal High Court which preserved their tenure until a properly convened and valid national convention is held.

In a letter by their counsel, Kolawole Olowookere, titled; “Re: Demand for strict compliance with the judgement of the Federal High Court delivered on 29th April,2026, in Suit No: FHC/CS/581/2026, Don Norman Obinna &6 ors vs ADC & 6 ors”,the state chairmen alleged that the National Working Committee,NWC,led by Senator Mark has taken actions in violation of the order of the Federal High Court.

The state chairmen also alleged that the Mark led NWC has planned a national convention of the party on 19th May, 2026, on the assumption that the tenure of the state chairmen will expire on that date, which is incorrect.

They further noted that the Mark-led NWC has commenced the sale of nomination forms to aspirants without their involvement, authorization and consent, and urged him to ensure that all actions taken by the party strictly conform with the constitution of the party and judgement of the Federal High Court.

The chairmen maintained that Mark’s action will mar the chances of the party in the 2027 general election.

They urged him to recognize the tenure of the elected state executive committees, suspend the sale of forms and fully comply with the order of the court.

Stressing that they remain committed to the party, the state chairmen also stated that safeguarding the ADC’s chances in the 2027 general election, requires strict adherence to the rule of law and compliance with the judgement of the Federal High Court.

The letter read;” We write to draw your attention to the subsisting judgement of the Federal High Court delivered on 29th April,2026. In the judgement,the court unequivocally recognized and affirmed that the tenure of our clients who are the duly elected state chairmen of the party remain valid and subsisting until the conduct of a valid national convention of the party.

“The legal implications of the judgement is clear and unambiguous. The elected chairmen continue to occupy their offices lawfully until a proper national convention of the party is convened in accordance with the constitution of the party and the order of the court.

“All steps taken by the party must strictly conform with the constitution of the party and order of the Federal High Court.

“Kindly note that any continuous disregard of the said judgement of the Federal High Court may expose the party and its principal officers to contempt proceedings and other appropriate legal actions.”

Read The Full Story / Watch The Full Video

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Senator Jibrin Dares Ododo After Losing Senate Return Ticket, Says “The Battle Line Is Drawn’

Published

on

The Senator representing Kogi East Senatorial District, Jibrin Isah has declared that “the battle line has been drawn” between himself and the Governor of Kogi State, Ahmed Usman Ododo, following his loss at the Kogi East Senate primary election.

‎Jibril, who is one of the seven aspirants contesting for the senatorial ticket, alleged irregularities during the exercise, accusing government agents of hijacking electoral materials meant for the primary election.

‎Speaking after the exercise, where two votes were recorded against his name in his own ward, the senator said he arrived at his ward to cast his vote but discovered that no electoral officer showed up. He added that similar situations were recorded in many other wards across the district.

‎According to him, the absence of electoral officials and voting materials prevented party members from participating in the process in several affected areas.

‎He maintained that the development was a deliberate attempt to frustrate his supporters and influence the outcome of the primary election.

‎The senator further stated that the projects he has executed across Kogi East would guarantee victory for candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC), including the President, in the senatorial district.

‎He said he had remained loyal to Governor Ododo and the leadership of the party, but wondered why he was being treated in such a manner despite his commitment and contributions to the APC.

‎He alleged that the governor went against him because he (Ododo) was told that he (Jubril) would contest the gubernatorial election against him. “Well, with the latest development, I will now contest for the governorship position against Governor Ododo when the time comes,” he said.

‎The senator called on the leadership of the APC to investigate the alleged hijacking of materials and ensure fairness in the party’s electoral process.

Read The Full Story / Watch The Full Video

Continue Reading

Trending