Politics
BREAKING NEWS: FCT Minister, Wike Challenges PDP Rival Faction to Open Official Party Bank Account, secretariat
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has challenged a rival faction within the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to prove its claim to leadership by opening an official party bank account and secretariat.
Wike issued the challenge on Wednesday during a live media chat with journalists in Abuja, accusing some party leaders of misleading Nigerians and ignoring court rulings in the ongoing crisis.
“You cannot continue to deceive Nigerians. If they are sure they are the authentic leadership of the PDP, let them open an official PDP account and tell party members to pay nomination fees into it,” he said.
The former Rivers State governor specifically called out Tanimu Turaki and others in the opposing camp to back their claims with action.
“Let Turaki, as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, open an account for the PDP. Let them announce it publicly for members who want to contest elections. That day, you will see what will happen,” Wike added.
He argued that no financial institution would recognise such an account because, according to him, the faction lacks the legal backing and required party documents.
“That bank will be in trouble because to open such an account, you must provide the party’s authentic documents and recognised leadership. Who has those documents?” he queried.
Wike also warned against any attempt to establish what he described as illegal party offices in the capital city, stressing that he would not allow any action that could disrupt peace.
“If anybody goes ahead to open an illegal office in the name of the PDP in Abuja, I will seal it. I will not allow any breach of peace because my duty is to maintain law and order in the Federal Capital Territory,” he said.
The minister maintained that court judgments had already resolved the leadership dispute and accused some actors of twisting the rulings for political convenience.
“People should stop deceiving Nigerians. The judgments are clear. You cannot ignore court decisions and begin to create parallel structures,” he said.
He also dismissed claims that a Supreme Court ruling favoured the rival faction, insisting that available legal decisions support the recognised leadership of the party.
According to him, attempts to reinterpret the rulings outside their proper context are meant to confuse party members and the public.
Wike said he remains a committed member of the PDP and is only defending what he described as constitutional order within the party.
Politics
2027 Election Saga: Atiku, Obi go quiet as opposition unity summit looms
Peter Obi and Atiku Abubakar mull options against Bola Tinubu ahead of single-candidate summit Peter Obi and Atiku Abubakar mull options against Bola Tinubu ahead of single-candidate summit
Conflicting signals from major opposition figures and parties have cast doubt on the prospects of a united front against President Bola Tinubu in the 2027 elections, as each group appears unwilling to surrender its platform without firm guarantees on leadership and structure.
As reported by The Punch on Thursday, August 13, the controversy follows a call by the Group of 100 Nigerians, led by former All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain Salisu Lukman, for opposition leaders to unite behind a single candidate.
The group urged former vice president Atiku Abubakar of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) and Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) presidential candidate Peter Obi, alongside their running mates Rotimi Amaechi and Rabiu Kwankwaso, to set aside individual ambitions and agree on a common candidate.
The group argues that a fragmented opposition cannot realistically defeat the ruling APC and has convened a summit in Abuja on Thursday, August 18, to advance the proposal.
Atiku, Peter Obi hold back on single opposition candidate proposal
Atiku’s Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, welcomed the G-100’s efforts in general terms but declined to confirm whether the former vice president would attend the August 18 summit.
Shaibu said:
“His attendance at the August 18 summit will, however, be communicated once his schedule and participation are finalised.”
On the question of stepping down in favour of a single candidate, Shaibu was non-committal, not-ing only that Atiku was in ongoing consultation “with political leaders and stakeholders across the opposition” and that “at the appropriate time, the outcome of these consultations will be made public.”
The Obidient Movement, which backs Obi’s presidential bid, confirmed that an invitation had been extended to him but said the choice to attend was his alone. National Coordinator Tanko Yunusa told reporters:
“An invitation has been sent to him. We will see whether he will attend or not. It is left for him to decide on whether to go to such a meeting.”
Yunusa did add that he considered opposition unity “very good,” but could not confirm whether Atiku had separately reached out to Obi.
Labour Party and DLA resist merger calls
The Labour Party took a firmer stance, rejecting the idea of building a new coalition vehicle entirely. National Publicity Secretary Ken Asogwa argued that the party’s ties to the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress gave it an organisational reach extending from the national level down to individual polling units that rivals could not replicate.
“The task before the opposition is not to reinvent the wheel but to unite behind the most viable platform. That platform is the Labour Party,” Asogwa said, calling on all political movements to fold their structures into the LP rather than form another body.”
The Democratic Leadership Alliance (DLA) was similarly cautious, with Deputy National Publicity Secretary Judith Aguenu confirming that the party was “not in talks with the G-100 or any other political party or group regarding the adoption or nomination of a single presidential candidate” at this stage.
The Coalition of United Political Parties offered the most enthusiastic response, with spokesman Agu Bryan pledging support for a consensus candidate should Obi, Atiku and others reach “a mutually acceptable arrangement in the overriding national interest.
“The August 18 summit is shaping up as an early test of whether the opposition can move beyond rhetoric and begin negotiating in earnest, with the divergent positions already on the table suggesting that the process will be far from smooth.
Politics
‘Nigeria is far bigger than just one electoral candidate’ — Peter Obi sends message to Osun voters
Peter Obi, the 2027 presidential candidate of the New Democratic Congress (NDC), has called on all stakeholders in the upcoming Osun State governorship election to uphold democratic standards and ensure that residents are allowed to vote without fear or pressure.
Obi addressed INEC, security agencies, political parties, candidates, civil society groups, religious and traditional leaders, the media, and the international community.
The former Anambra state governor urged each group to carry out their roles with professionalism and restraint.
He made this known in a statement posted on Thursday, August 13, 2026, via his verified X account @PeterObi.
Osun belongs to its people
Obi added that votes must be counted transparently, protected faithfully, and announced according to the genuine will of the electorate.
Peter Obi’s appeal to Osun residents
Beyond the institutions, Obi directed a personal appeal to the people of Osun, asking them not to allow politicians to drive wedges between neighbours, friends, and communities.
He warned against violence carried out in the name of electoral victory, saying Nigeria is bigger than any single candidate and that Osun is greater than any political party.
He warned against violence carried out in the name of electoral victory, saying Nigeria is bigger than any single candidate and that Osun is greater than any political party.
Osun election: Mixed reactions from Nigerians
The post sparked debate online, @saintIsaiah7 described the election as one that would “send a strong wave of signal to Nigerians about the forthcoming general election,” calling on INEC, the police, the army, the DSS, and the EFCC to resist any form of rigging or ballot irregularities.
@EbereMedia1991 was more skeptical, writing,
“As long as APC is still in power, it will be very hard for people to decide their choice because this party doesn’t believe in people’s vote and they don’t believe in free and fair election.
“@Auwalsp98 noted a broader crisis of confidence, saying,
“It seems like in Nigeria, the opposition party has no trust in INEC; people are always thinking whether free and fair elections will be held or not.”
The NDC’s official campaign account, @NDCWarRoom, directed a pointed message at the ADC, urging the party to collapse its structure and declare support for Governor Ademola Adeleke rather than play a spoiler role.
“The Osun election is between Accord and APC,” the account wrote, adding: “Practice what you preach. Don’t be a spoiler.”
@tonydaymn10 described Obi as “the people’s president” and urged voters to come out in large numbers, while @BigMarto_ expressed doubt that any free and fair process could take place under the current federal administration.
Peter Obi resigned from the African Democratic Congress on May 2, 2026, before being ratified as the NDC’s presidential candidate on May 29, 2026.
Peter Obi resigned from the African Democratic Congress on May 2, 2026, before being ratified as the NDC’s presidential candidate on May 29, 2026.
Osun guber election: GSI survey predicts winner
Recall that a survey by Geopolitics Survey International polled 2,100 residents across all nine federal constituencies in Osun state.
The GSI findings covered five key questions on local government leadership disputes and voting intentions ahead of the 2026 Osun governorship election.
Respondents cited specific reasons for backing their preferred candidate, including performance in office and labour-related concerns.
Osun election: Primate Ayodele releases prophecy on winner
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that Primate Babatunde Elijah Ayodele released a prophecy about the upcoming Osun governorship election, issuing warnings to key figures involved.
The outspoken cleric alleged that a party has made plans to contest the election result beyond the highly anticipated polls.
The 2026 Osun governorship election will take place on Saturday, August 15, 2026, to elect the governor of the state.
-
Breaking News10 months agoNiger Delta Group hails Tinubu, NUPRC for ₦373bn host community fund and 536 life-changing projects
-
Breaking News9 months agoEx-EFCC Exhibit Keeper Kaduna Zonal Directorate, Allegedly Steals ₦22m
-
Breaking News9 months agoTerrorists Want ₦2m ‘levy’ in Katsina Community Despite Peaceful Agreement
-
Breaking News8 months agoBreaking News: Nigerian Air Force Reportedly Kills 750 Terrorists in Borno State
-
Business10 months agoHouse of Representatives probes $35m modular refinery project
-
Business4 months agoBREAKING NEWS: Zenith Bank Rewards Investors with ₦410.69bn Dividend at AGM
-
Breaking News3 months agoPlaintiff To Pay ₦1m Fines For Delay In Jonathan Eligibility Suit
-
Breaking News3 months agoDEFAMATION OF CHARACTER: SERAP On Appeal Against The ₦100m Judgment In Favour of DSS Officials
