Breaking News
Nasir El-Rufai’s Treason and Breach of National Security Trial Continued at the Federal High Court in Abuja
Nasir El-Rufai’s trial over allegations bordering on treason and breach of national security continued at the Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday with the prosecution presenting evidence aimed at establishing claims that the former governor intercepted a private conversation involving the National Security Adviser, NSA.
The prosecution played a 43-minute interview granted by El-Rufai on Arise News Television, where he allegedly stated that someone had wiretapped a conversation involving the NSA and forwarded it to him.
In the interview, El-Rufai defended the act by arguing that governments routinely monitor communications of others too.
A prosecution witness told the court that following the broadcast, investigators interviewed the NSA, Nuhu Ribadu, who confirmed that the conversation referenced by El-Rufai had indeed taken place between him and the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission, ICPC.
According to the witness, the ICPC chairman also confirmed having such a discussion with the NSA after portions of the interview were played to him.
The witness further testified that the anchor of the programme, Charles Aniagolu, alongside activist-lawyer, Deji Adeyanju, and a cameraman were invited for questioning.
Investigators said Aniagolu confirmed that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that someone intercepted the conversation and passed it to him, while also insisting that governments engage in such practices regularly.
The prosecution tendered statements obtained from Aniagolu and Adeyanju, which were admitted by the court as Exhibits C, C1 and E respectively, without objection from the defence.
Another statement from an Arise TV cameraman, Ugochukwu Agalayana, was also admitted as Exhibit D after he confirmed setting up the equipment used during the interview, although he said he did not pay attention to the conversation itself.
According to the prosecution witness, investigators concluded that El-Rufai made what they described as an “open confession” during the television interview regarding the interception of the NSA’s conversation.
The witness added that the investigation team considered the act capable of undermining national security and subsequently recommended his prosecution.
A preliminary investigation report tendered by the prosecution was admitted as Exhibit F.
Under cross-examination by defence counsel, Chief Paul Erokoro, SAN, the witness acknowledged that investigators did not examine any communication devices belonging to the NSA, obtain IP addresses, or conduct forensic analysis of the alleged interception.
He maintained however that such steps became unnecessary after the NSA reportedly confirmed the authenticity of the conversation referenced in the interview.
The witness also agreed that El-Rufai never specifically stated during the interview that he personally carried out the interception, but insisted that the former governor repeatedly stood by the claim that the conversation had been tapped and forwarded to him.
When asked whether the defendant could merely have been boasting as a politician during a politically charged television appearance, the witness responded that he considered El-Rufai as a person of integrity and believed he meant what he said during the broadcast.
Following the conclusion of cross-examination of the first prosecution witness, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik adjourned further trial in the matter to June 22 and 23.
Breaking News
ADC State Chairmen Threatened Contempt Proceedings Against David Mark
UMUAHIA – State chairmen of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, have threatened to file contempt proceedings against the national chairman of the party, Senator David Mark and other principal officers over alleged violation of the April 29, 2026, order of the Federal High Court, which declared that the tenure of the state chairmen has not expired.
They accused Senator Mark of acting in violation of the order of the Federal High Court which preserved their tenure until a properly convened and valid national convention is held.
In a letter by their counsel, Kolawole Olowookere, titled; “Re: Demand for strict compliance with the judgement of the Federal High Court delivered on 29th April,2026, in Suit No: FHC/CS/581/2026, Don Norman Obinna &6 ors vs ADC & 6 ors”,the state chairmen alleged that the National Working Committee,NWC,led by Senator Mark has taken actions in violation of the order of the Federal High Court.
The state chairmen also alleged that the Mark led NWC has planned a national convention of the party on 19th May, 2026, on the assumption that the tenure of the state chairmen will expire on that date, which is incorrect.
They further noted that the Mark-led NWC has commenced the sale of nomination forms to aspirants without their involvement, authorization and consent, and urged him to ensure that all actions taken by the party strictly conform with the constitution of the party and judgement of the Federal High Court.
The chairmen maintained that Mark’s action will mar the chances of the party in the 2027 general election.
They urged him to recognize the tenure of the elected state executive committees, suspend the sale of forms and fully comply with the order of the court.
Stressing that they remain committed to the party, the state chairmen also stated that safeguarding the ADC’s chances in the 2027 general election, requires strict adherence to the rule of law and compliance with the judgement of the Federal High Court.
The letter read;” We write to draw your attention to the subsisting judgement of the Federal High Court delivered on 29th April,2026. In the judgement,the court unequivocally recognized and affirmed that the tenure of our clients who are the duly elected state chairmen of the party remain valid and subsisting until the conduct of a valid national convention of the party.
“The legal implications of the judgement is clear and unambiguous. The elected chairmen continue to occupy their offices lawfully until a proper national convention of the party is convened in accordance with the constitution of the party and the order of the court.
“All steps taken by the party must strictly conform with the constitution of the party and order of the Federal High Court.
“Kindly note that any continuous disregard of the said judgement of the Federal High Court may expose the party and its principal officers to contempt proceedings and other appropriate legal actions.”
Breaking News
Senator Jibrin Dares Ododo After Losing Senate Return Ticket, Says “The Battle Line Is Drawn’
The Senator representing Kogi East Senatorial District, Jibrin Isah has declared that “the battle line has been drawn” between himself and the Governor of Kogi State, Ahmed Usman Ododo, following his loss at the Kogi East Senate primary election.
Jibril, who is one of the seven aspirants contesting for the senatorial ticket, alleged irregularities during the exercise, accusing government agents of hijacking electoral materials meant for the primary election.
Speaking after the exercise, where two votes were recorded against his name in his own ward, the senator said he arrived at his ward to cast his vote but discovered that no electoral officer showed up. He added that similar situations were recorded in many other wards across the district.
According to him, the absence of electoral officials and voting materials prevented party members from participating in the process in several affected areas.
He maintained that the development was a deliberate attempt to frustrate his supporters and influence the outcome of the primary election.
The senator further stated that the projects he has executed across Kogi East would guarantee victory for candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC), including the President, in the senatorial district.
He said he had remained loyal to Governor Ododo and the leadership of the party, but wondered why he was being treated in such a manner despite his commitment and contributions to the APC.
He alleged that the governor went against him because he (Ododo) was told that he (Jubril) would contest the gubernatorial election against him. “Well, with the latest development, I will now contest for the governorship position against Governor Ododo when the time comes,” he said.
The senator called on the leadership of the APC to investigate the alleged hijacking of materials and ensure fairness in the party’s electoral process.
-
Breaking News5 months agoTerrorists Want ₦2m ‘levy’ in Katsina Community Despite Peaceful Agreement
-
Breaking News6 months agoEx-EFCC Exhibit Keeper Kaduna Zonal Directorate, Allegedly Steals ₦22m
-
Breaking News7 months agoNiger Delta Group hails Tinubu, NUPRC for ₦373bn host community fund and 536 life-changing projects
-
Breaking News5 months agoBreaking News: Nigerian Air Force Reportedly Kills 750 Terrorists in Borno State
-
Business7 months agoHouse of Representatives probes $35m modular refinery project
-
Breaking News6 months agoBreaking: Robbery Suspects Caught After Leaving Phone At The Scene
-
Breaking News7 months agoUCL: Osimhen Statement after Galatasaray’s 3-1 Win over Bodo/Glimt
-
Breaking News5 months agoNasarawa Insecurity: Suspects Apprehended, Man Hunt Ongoing – Gov Sule
